1. Poets should submit 10-20 pages of poetry (the folio can contain one long poem, a sequence, or 10-20 pages of individual poems).
2. Short story writers should submit 1 short story of any length.
3. Novelists should submit novel excerpts or novellas up to 50 pages.
4. Playwrights should submit a one-act play or a single act from a larger work.
5. Nonfiction writers should submit 1 essay or an excerpt from a larger work. The editors also encourage the submission of essays by two different writers if the individual essays engage similar topics or themes.
6. Simultaneous submissions are allowed as long as Panhandler is notified immediately if work is accepted elsewhere.
7. The editors do not read submissions from May 15-August 31. Work submitted during the summer months will be returned unread. Please only submit once per yearly reading period.
8. We look forward to reading your work!
For Artists/Art Critics:
1. Visual Artists should submit portfolios (approximately 10 pages in length) of any visual art that can be represented in print.
2. Panhandler is also interested in submissions that qualify as actual artwork site specific to the journal. Please submit a 300-word proposal/query and accompanying images (5-10 jpgs or website link).
3. Art Critics and Theorists should submit 10-20 pages of criticism that address themes in contemporary and emerging art forms. Panhandler actively solicits criticism engaged in cross-discipline research and experimental practices. Authors are responsible for obtaining appropriate permissions for any supporting visual images.
4. Panhandler encourages collaborative proposals/projects between visual artists and critics.