Guidelines for Panhandler Magazine Submissions:
1. Poets should submit 10-20 pages of poetry (the folio can contain one long poem, a sequence, or 10-20 pages of individual poems).
2. Short story writers should submit 1 short story of any length.
3. Novelists should submit novel excerpts or novellas up to 50 pages.
4. Playwrights should submit a one-act play or a single act from a larger work.
5. Nonfiction writers should submit 1 essay or an excerpt from a larger work. The editors also encourage the submission of essays by two different writers if the individual essays engage similar topics or themes.
6. Simultaneous submissions are allowed as long as Panhandler is notified immediately if work is accepted elsewhere.
7. The editors read submissions from October 1 – January 1. Please only submit once per reading period.
8. We look forward to reading your work!
For Artists/Art Critics:
1. Visual Artists should submit portfolios (Up to 20 images, and/or links to videos, web art or audio files) of any visual art.
2. Panhandler is also interested in submissions that qualify as actual artwork site specific to the journal. Please submit a 300-word proposal/query and accompanying images (10-20 jpgs or website link).
3. Art Critics and Theorists should submit 10-20 pages of criticism that address themes in contemporary and emerging art forms. Panhandler actively solicits criticism engaged in cross-discipline research and experimental practices. Authors are responsible for obtaining appropriate permissions for any supporting visual images.
4. Panhandler encourages collaborative proposals/projects between visual artists and critics.
Guidelines for Panhandler Books Submissions:
[Panhandler Books will reopen for unsolicited submissions in 2022]
Beginning February 1, 2019, Panhandler Books welcomes submissions of previously unpublished, book-length collections of poetry, fiction (both short fiction and novels), and nonfiction (all forms). The open submission period will run from February 1 – April 30.
Panhandler Books is especially interested in receiving manuscripts from writers from underrepresented backgrounds and communities. The press also welcomes “New and Selected” poetry, short story, and essay collections from writers both established and overlooked. Please include a cover letter with your submission.
Because Panhandler Books is only able to publish a limited number of books, we do not charge a reading fee for submissions or run contests. Simultaneous submissions are fine as long as you let us know if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
To avoid conflicts of interest, neither Panhandler Magazine nor Panhandler Books publishes creative writing pieces or books by University of West Florida employees or students who have been enrolled in or employed by the University of West Florida within the last five years.