Guidelines for Panhandler Magazine Submissions:
1. Poets should submit 10-20 pages of poetry (the folio can contain one long poem, a sequence, or 10-20 pages of individual poems).
2. Short story writers should submit 1 short story of any length.
3. Novelists should submit novel excerpts or novellas up to 50 pages.
4. Playwrights should submit a one-act play or a single act from a larger work.
5. Nonfiction writers should submit 1 essay or an excerpt from a larger work. The editors also encourage the submission of essays by two different writers if the individual essays engage similar topics or themes.
6. Simultaneous submissions are allowed as long as Panhandler is notified immediately if work is accepted elsewhere.
7. The editors read submissions from October 1 – January 1. Please only submit once per reading period.
8. We look forward to reading your work!
For Artists/Art Critics:
1. Visual Artists should submit portfolios (Up to 20 images, and/or links to videos, web art or audio files) of any visual art.
2. Panhandler is also interested in submissions that qualify as actual artwork site specific to the journal. Please submit a 300-word proposal/query and accompanying images (10-20 jpgs or website link).
3. Art Critics and Theorists should submit 10-20 pages of criticism that address themes in contemporary and emerging art forms. Panhandler actively solicits criticism engaged in cross-discipline research and experimental practices. Authors are responsible for obtaining appropriate permissions for any supporting visual images.
4. Panhandler encourages collaborative proposals/projects between visual artists and critics.
Guidelines for Panhandler Books Submissions:
Panhandler Books is not currently open for unsolicited submissions. When submissions open for the book series again in the future, information will be posted here and distributed on social media. We look forward to reading your work, and we appreciate your interest in the book series.